1. of or relating to present and recent time; not ancient or remote:
Online shopping is our modern way of life.
2. characteristic of present and recent time; contemporary; not antiquated or obsolete.
Streaming music is the modern form of music. CDs are obsolete. Downloading digital files are becoming antiquated.
3. a person of modern times.
Tech pioneers are the new innovators of modern marketing and distribution channels.
4. a person whose views and tastes are modern.
Our fashion designers, buyers, editors and music curators are tasked with keeping trends modern.
1. the substance or substances of which a thing is made or composed:
Cotton is a plant that is used to make many forms of material. We use fabric which is made from cotton.
2. anything that serves as crude or raw matter to be used or developed:
Wood pulp is the raw material from which paper is made. We use paper to make our boxes.
3. a textile fabric:
Designers use material to make a dress. We use sequin fabric to dresses and handbags.
4. a group of ideas, facts, data, etc., that may provide the basis for or be incorporated into some integrated work:
We gathered a lot of material about the state of the music industry, revenue statistics on merch sales vs. fashion merchandising sales, and formulated a new business model for artists.
5. materials, the articles or apparatus needed to make or do something:
A fashion designer requires raw materials, patterns and a sewing machine to make clothing.
6. a person considered as having qualities suited to a particular sphere of activity:
A girl wearing a cheap, generic t-shirt is not fashion material worthy of walking the runway.
7. formed or consisting of matter; physical; corporeal:
We are living in a material world.
8. relating to, concerned with, or involving matter:
The material forces have brought our ideas together.
9. pertaining to the physical rather than the spiritual or intellectual aspect of things:
She cares more about buying material things than spending money on music or entertainment.
10. of substantial import; of much consequence; important:
Your support will make a material difference in the success of our music & art.
11. Philosophy: of or relating to matter as distinguished from form.
A musician's material (emotions) mean more to life than a designer's material things.